The second floor of the Memphis Slim Collaboratory functions both as a workshop space and a contemporary art gallery. The Memphis Slim Gallery has considerable experience providing artist promotion to talented emerging and established artists who wish to become recognized in the Memphis art scene.
Every three months we host a selection of original artwork from local artists in the greater Memphis area. CLICK HERE to see previous submissions we have posted so far
Memphis Slim’s house, located across the street from Stax Museum of American Soul Music has been redeveloped and re-imagined by Community LIFT, so that future generations of Soulsville, USA musicians will have a place to gather, rehearse, learn and create legendary music once again.
Leni Stoeva, Creative Placemaking Coordinator and Gallery Curator, brings to Memphis Slim Collaboratory her experience in the art market, as a private and corporate fine art consultant and as a fine art administrator; representing artists and placing their work within the Memphis Slim Collaboratory. She runs her own art leasing and consulting startup, called Artwardly and is the Creative Placemaking Coordinator for the Soulsville, USA neighborhood.
Guidelines for submitting art work to the Memphis Slim Collaboratory:
Submissions must be original artwork and the submitting artist must hold all rights to the work.
Photographers must have explicit permission from any people whose faces or bodies are recognizable in their photographs.
Please include a cover letter/biography with your name and contact information in the submission. There is no limit to how many jpeg’s of your work you send. Please note that we cannot nail, drill, or stick anything on the reclaimed wood throughout the house. If you wish to display anything in that area you must bring your own S hooks. We accept art in any media. All photography work and print work must be framed. We will provide pedestals and shelving for sculptures if needed. Artists must submit labels once accepted for price tags Please provide a narrative description of the artwork including title, medium/media, dimensions (in h x w x d), price of artwork and any applicable notes. Please drop off work between working hours Mon-Friday 9-5 pm. All selected artists must provide a detailed plan for the installation of their artwork, to include any engineering specifications, unique considerations for non-metal media, and other significant factors affecting exhibition for an extended period of time. Community LIFT, Memphis Slim House, and its sponsors shall not be liable for any loss incurred due to a faulty connection between the artwork and the surface it is attached to. Please call 901-590-4591 with any questions BEFORE submitting your entry and installation plan. Please provide a plan for installation, which includes detailed information on how the piece will be installed, as well as any special considerations such as the need for forklift rental or street closures. Please attach or send your current resume and exhibition record. If multiple artists are involved, include each artist's resume and indicate ONE contact person to firstname.lastname@example.org SALE and COMMISSIONS. Gallery and Artist agree that the Gallery's commission is to be 20% of the retail price of each work sold. Artist and Gallery must agree to any change in Gallery’s commission in advance. In addition, we ask that once the residency is up that the Artist leaves one piece behind under Leni Stoeva, Creative Placemaking Coordinator, and the Artist’s agreement in the Gallery for The Memphis Slim House. In the case that the artwork sells even once the residency is up, the gallery will retain 20% of the proceeds and give the artist the remaining 80% during the point of sale.
In addition to your artist statement and bio we are also interested to see what kind of community engagement and buy-in you might have in the Soulsville, USA/South Memphis community and how you think your work relates to this part of Memphis? Please give a brief description of why you are interested in exhibiting in the Memphis Slim Collaboratory, any partners or collaborations you may have made along the way within your work and if you plan to do any community engagement work during the exhibition of your work in the gallery?